No matter what your age or what subject you study, we are ready to connect you to nature!
We offer a wide variety of programs and are always incorporating new materials. If you don't see a standard program that works for you, please contact us to discuss a more specialized program.
Here is a current list of our animal programs (.docx). While these are designed for elementary school students, they can be adapted and refined for an older audience, so please call us if you see something you like for a different age group.
Ian McLaughlin has been certified by the 5 Rivers Council to be a local Boy Scout Badge Counselor. He can offer programs towards eight badges: Bird Study, Environmental Science, Forestry, Hiking, Insect Study, Naturalist, Nature, Reptile and Amphibian Study. If interested in a Scout program, please email Ian.
For adults, we also offer a team building program. This three-hour program includes a warm welcome and introduction from Tanglewood, a 90-minute quest around our nature center and trails, and reflection after the quest. The quest (the "Great Tanglewood Adventure Challenge," aka GTAR) will include short hikes to different stations – groups should be ready to hike 10-20 minutes on unpaved trails across field and forest – as well as cooperative challenges, artistic creations, and close encounters with our animal ambassadors. At the end of the GTAC, each mini-team will have time to reflect on what was the biggest challenge for them, as well has what was the most fun! The GTAC does not emphasize “winning,” but instead, it provides a series of varied challenges that will encourage your team to step outside of their day-to-day roles and see each other’s skills and interests in a new light. For more information, please check out our brochure (PDF). To schedule a team building program, please email Deanna.
Please have alternate dates and times available when you call to book a program. Programs usually require 1.5 hours at Tanglewood (this generally includes a live animal presentation, a museum tour and a guided hike), or 40-50 minute live animal presentation at your location. If you wish to cancel, please call by 9 a.m. on the scheduled day - please note that without 24 hours' notice you will be charged for the program. Tanglewood does not cancel due to inclement weather, so please be sure all participants are dressed properly to explore our site. Appropriate clothing consists of sturdy boots or close-toed shoes, warm clothing, and rain gear if necessary - clothes that can get dirty! Upon arrival, proceed to the Nature Center Building.
Payment is due upon completion of program.You may pay with credit card, cash, or check in person, or over the phone with a credit card. If you have any questions about paying for a program, please call Deanna at 607-732-6060.
School and library pricing:
Scout group pricing:
- Pre-K classes with 20 or less students: $65 at Tanglewood, $75.00 In-School. (Each additional youth: $3.25 at Tanglewood/$3.75 in school)
- Elementary and Secondary class groups of up to 20 youth: $75at Tanglewood, $85.00 In-School. (Each additional youth: $3.75 at Tanglewood/$4.25 in school)
- In-School assemblies: $2.25/child, $175 minimum (for a minimum of 75 children)
- Other not-for-profit program (libraries, churches, etc.) $65 (up to 30 people) at Tanglewood, $80.00 your site (up to 50 people - each additional $2.25 per person)
- Libraries (at Library) $70.00 flat rate
- Payment is due when the program is scheduled, and it must be received in full. If you are dependent on collecting money from the parents please do so ahead of time, and then call to schedule your program. The fees are listed below:
- Scout groups $50.00 (up to 10 children) at Tanglewood, $60.00 your site (up to 10 children), $2.00 each additional child
- Mileage fee TBD if program is 15 miles or more from Tanglewood.
- After hours fee add $30.00
Please have alternate dates and times available when calling! Spring is our busiest season, so booking early is to your advantage.
Schedule a School Program:
Please call Elaine, our Executive Director, at (607) 732-6060 ex. 101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule a Scout Program:
Please call Ian, our Naturalist and certified Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor.
(607) 732-6060 ex. 104
or email him: email@example.com
Schedule a Team-Building Program:
Please call Deanna, our Office Manager, at (607) 732-6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.